gnome-system-tools problems (still)

Kevin Miller fotrefofosisfi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 23:14:43 UTC 2007

I posted this message a couple weeks ago but I guess nobody saw it, or
whatever.

I have tried updating my cvs sources and updating packages, but am still
having the same problems.  Maybe someone will see this that will have an
idea.

I am running FreeBSD 6.2 with gnome 2.18.1 compiled and installed from
ports.

I am having problems with all of the tools, specifically the
shares-admin, and services-admin.

None of the gnome-system-tools, even the ones that work, ask for a
password if logged in as a normal user.  I've tried removing user from
wheel group, and they still never ask.

When trying to make changes to all but the users-admin, I get the
following or similar:

(time-admin:11736): Liboobs-CRITICAL **:
oobs_service_get_runlevel_configuration: assertion `runlevel != NULL'
failed

-- shares-admin:
Does not recognize that samba is installed and running, just gives error
message "Sharing services are not installed"

When run as a user, just gives the error dialog.
When run as root, spits error:

(shares-admin:7111): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

and then gives the error dialog

-- services-admin:
Opens, but only limited listings and cannot make any changes.

When run as user or root I get the following when trying to run:

(services-admin:8479): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

(services-admin:8479): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: IA__g_object_set_valist:
object class `GtkCellRendererText' has no property named `Services
settings'

(services-admin:8479): Liboobs-CRITICAL **:
[...]

and then when I try to make any changes I get the following:

(services-admin:8479): Liboobs-CRITICAL **:
oobs_service_set_runlevel_configuration: assertion `runlevel != NULL'
failed

(services-admin:8479): Liboobs-WARNING **: There was an unknown error
communicating with the backends: Undefined subroutine
&Utils::File::do_report called at
/usr/local/share/system-tools-backends-2.0/scripts/Init/Services.pm line
939.

samba, and gnome are running, as well as dbus, polkitd, avahi, the
system-tools-backends, and hal.  I get no errors on startup from those.

Any suggestions?