The way to fix ports/104560

Alexander Botero-Lowry alexbl at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 23 20:32:56 UTC 2007

> Alexander Botero-Lowry p=ED=B9e v =FAt 23. 01. 2007 v 12:01 -0800:
> 3:31 -0800=3D
> > > :
> o fi=3D
> > > x th=3D3D
> x.
> on a
> orts=3D
> > > .
> pria=3D
> > > te
> all
> > >=20
>  and
> thon=3D
> > > 2.5
> > >=20
> > > Unless your bin/python is actually 2.5 python.
> > >=20
> > > I see two possible ways out:
> > >=20
> > > 1) patch a lot of python using ports to call ${PYTHON} instead of pytho=
> > [SNIP]
> > > Approach number one takes a lot of patching. Approach number two impose=
> > > an administrative burden on end users.
> >=20
> > I think you're far overestimating the number of ports that don't use=20
> > USE_PYDISTUTILS (which uses ${PYTHON}.) It is I guarentee the most common
> > way to install A python port, and I will go out on a limb and say there
> > are no more than 30 ports that install otherwise (a guess to be sure, but
> > I can't imagine it's a very high number).=20
>
> Then let's go patching.
>
> Are you going to address other issues pointed out in this thread?
If by other issues you mean having something installed as python, then yes
but I'm not really sure of the best way to do this. I guess perl style
may work but that just seems like a bad idea to me.

> Also, what would you say about adding text like this to Porter's
> Handbook?
I think that looks just about right. The first sentence may not be entirely
true now, but it is certainly the goal I'm working towards, and doing this
will make it more possible.