The way to fix ports/104560

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 23 20:27:39 UTC 2007

Alexander Botero-Lowry píše v út 23. 01. 2007 v 12:01 -0800:
> > :
> > x th=3D
> > .
> > te
> >
> > > You absolutely do. THe pyc and pyo files are part of the package list and
> > > have to be generated by the installation process. So you must have python=
> > 2.5
> > > to install to the python 2.5 site-packages.
> >
> > Unless your bin/python is actually 2.5 python.
> >
> > I see two possible ways out:
> >
> > 1) patch a lot of python using ports to call ${PYTHON} instead of python
> [SNIP]
> > Approach number one takes a lot of patching. Approach number two imposes
> > an administrative burden on end users.
>
> I think you're far overestimating the number of ports that don't use
> USE_PYDISTUTILS (which uses ${PYTHON}.) It is I guarentee the most common
> way to install A python port, and I will go out on a limb and say there
> are no more than 30 ports that install otherwise (a guess to be sure, but
> I can't imagine it's a very high number).

Then let's go patching.

Are you going to address other issues pointed out in this thread?

Also, what would you say about adding text like this to Porter's
Handbook?

The FreeBSD Ports Collection support parallel installation of multiple
Python versions. Ports should make sure to use a correct python
interpreter according to user settable PYTHON_VERSION variable.
This means, mostly, replacing the path to python executable in scripts
with value of PYTHON_CMD variable.

Ports that install files under pythonsitelibdir should use
PKGNAMEPREFIX=  ${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}
so thier package name embeds the version of python they are installed
into.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already
know dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be
killed.
  -- G. K. Chesterton