Fonts, windows too large after 2.20 upgrade

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Wed Dec 19 21:07:30 PST 2007

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> Im not quite sure if im explaining this right, but i just upgraded Gnome (along with)
> a number of other things) to 2.20 on a FreeBSD 6.2 system. Several things are
> visually messed up. All the system fonts are displaying extremely large, whether
> in the title bar, in a Terminal window, in Firefox tabs, etc. And i think the windows
> themselves (the ones connected to specifically Gnome apps at least) are also
> larger: im pretty sure that Terminal is larger than it used to be.

As far as I understand it, 2.20 uses a new font type compared 2.18
(anti-aliased vs bitmap).  I had some other issues after the upgrade,
and removed my existing .gnome2, .gnome2_provate, .gnome, .gconf, .
gconfd, .fontconfig and .metacity directories - this resulted in
respectable looking fonts again...

Now there is hopefully a less drastic way to proceed... may just
removing .fontconfig may sort it?

On the I've seen suggestions about changing DPI setting from 99->96 in
Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Details. Initially I tried this and
things looked better.

Cheers

Mark