Major 2.18 Issues... [Cannot print using CUPS printer in 2.18]

Lachlan Michael Lachlan.Michael at jp.sony.com
Mon Apr 23 05:53:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 01:22 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 14:19 +0900, Lachlan Michael wrote:

> > > I cannot reproduce.  I have switched one of my test machines to CUPS,
> > > rebuilt gtk20 and libgnomeprint with CUPS support, and I can print to
> > > remote CUPS printers (off of a MacOS X server) just fine.  I do get the
> > > same errors and warnings on the command line, but I do not get any
> > > application lockups or crashes.  The resulting printout looks just like
> > > Print Preview said it would.
> >
> > Thanks for trying to reproduce this problem. I wouldn't be surprised if
> > it was a problem with my setup, however since it seemed I was the seond
> > person to have this problem I thought I would chime in.
> >
> > > Try rebuilding libgnomeprint and gtk20 will WITH_CUPS="yes"
> > > in /etc/make.conf, and see if it helps.
> > >
> > > Joe
> >
> > I already had WITH_CUPS="yes" in my /etc/make.conf. The contents of the
> > file are as below.
> >
> > # I guess some ports use this ...
> > #WITH_DEBUG=yes
> >
> > WANT_FAM_SYSTEM=gamin
> > CFLAGS= -O -g -pipe
> > STRIP=
> > NO_PROFILE=true
> > BATCH=yes
> >
> > # cups related
> > CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
> > NO_LPR=true
> > WITH_CUPS=yes
> > WITH_GTK=yes
> > WITH_SMB=yes
> >
> > # added by use.perl 2007-03-30 17:12:45
> > PERL_VER=5.8.8
> > PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
> >
> > Perhaps there is something else incorrect here? My /etc/rc.conf contains
> > the following:
> >
> > #  GNOME
> > gnome_enable="YES"
> > dbus_enable="YES"
> > polkitd_enable="YES"
> > hald_enable="YES"
> >
> > cupsd_enable="YES"
> >
> > Other notes:
> > 1) I can sucessfully print a test page from the CUPS web interface
> > ( http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:631/ )
> > 2) I can successfully print from Openoffice, including choosing printer
> > and paper type (A3,A4 etc)
> >
> > This leads me to believe the CUPS setup itself is not the problem.
> >
> > 3) I cannot print a test page from the Gnome cups manager because it
> > sets the paper to Letter size (when sending a document to the printer,
> > and the option to change paper size is blank (we use A4 in Japan and
> > there is no Letter size in the printer. There is however A3 size
> > available in the printer). The PPD file has the defaults set to A4 and
> > nowhere mentions Letter size. In fact, I can't choose the paper size
> > from any Gnome application except Openoffice.
>
> What I don't have is a PPD loaded for my printer.  CUPS complains about
> this, but prints anyway.  If you unload the PPD, does printing work?

I moved all my PPD files away to a temporary directory and rebooted.

When I did that, all printers were found and I could choose and press
the print button ok. Furthermore, I could select the paper size as well.
So that seems to have solved the freeze problem for me. Thanks!

However, one small problem remains. The paper size is still stuck in
Letter size. The file goes to the correct printer, but on the printer
monitor it complains about being sent a Letter size file and there being
no Letter paper in printer. Running gedit from the command line I get
the following error messages:

> gedit
GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer FUJI_XEROX_ApeosPort_C5540_I_v_7._8._0_-_Printer_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx could not be loaded.
GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer FUJI_XEROX_ApeosPort_C5540_I_v_7._8._0_-_Printer_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx could not be loaded.
GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer FUJI_XEROX_DocuCentre_Color_f450_v_6._6._5_-_Printer_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx could not be loaded.
GnomePrintCupsPlugin-Message: The ppd file for the CUPS printer PostScript Printer - Direct-1 could not be loaded.

** (gedit:1479): WARNING **: could not set the value of Settings.Document.Filter, node not found

(gedit:1479): libgnomeprintui-CRITICAL **: gnome_paper_selector_load_paper_size: assertion `GNOME_IS_PAPER_SELECTOR (ps)' failed

(gedit:1479): libgnomeprintui-CRITICAL **: gnome_paper_selector_load_paper_size: assertion `GNOME_IS_PAPER_SELECTOR (ps)' failed

Does this point to a ghostscript problem or some variable that I have
incorrectly configured?

Thanks again for your help.

Lachlan