gnome-mount unmount problem

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Tue Apr 17 00:10:55 UTC 2007

On 04/16/07 18:40, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Volker wrote:

>>> What version of hal do you have installed, and when did you last restart
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>

>> Joe,
>>
>> sorry for not posting this info. I'm using latest hal from ports:
>> hal-0.5.8.20070403
>>
>> As this is my notebook, it's restarted on a daily basis. My desktop
>> machine (also using Gnome2, latest) does not automount everything it
>> can find so I'm unable to recreate the problem on that desktop.
>>
>> The main question is: Why or when does gnome-mount automount volumes
>> and how does one disable automounting? If gnome-mount would not
>> automount on startup, volumes can be mounted and unmounted without
>> error. If it does automount, I'm receiving the error message
>> "mounted by uid UNKNOWN".
>
> gnome-volume-manager is responsible for mounting file systems.  How many
> instances or g-v-m are you running?  Do you have any other scripts or
> session instances that start gnome-mount?
>
> Joe

Joe,

thank you for your time on this.

%ps ax | grep vol
 1265  ??  Ss     0:04.87 gnome-volume-manager --sm-disable

There's just one instance running and it's started from gnome-session.

How does g-v-m decide on which volumes to mount (automount) at gdm
login?

I _think_ I've solved that problem. I've compared the hald and
polkitd settings with my desktop system (which is less manipulated
than my notebook) I've figured out the hal-storage-fixed* settings
are set to 'Allow=' by default. On my troubled notebook system, I've
had 'Allow=uid:__all__' in it.

Setting this to 'Allow=' and rebooting the system, Gnome came up
with no automounted volumes.

Could you please give me some pointers on how hald, polkitd, g-v-m
and gnome-mount interact and which knobs and settings are where to
find? I would try to start some man pages for them as this issue
seems to be a typical "user (me) did stupid things and screwed up a
running system by the lack of docs". But I need more knowledge about
these to write anything about them.

Thanks,

Volker