gnome-mount unmount problem

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 17 01:05:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 02:10 +0200, Volker wrote:
> On 04/16/07 18:40, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > Volker wrote:

> >> Joe,
> >>
> >> sorry for not posting this info. I'm using latest hal from ports:
> >> hal-0.5.8.20070403
> >>
> >> As this is my notebook, it's restarted on a daily basis. My desktop
> >> machine (also using Gnome2, latest) does not automount everything it
> >> can find so I'm unable to recreate the problem on that desktop.
> >>
> >> The main question is: Why or when does gnome-mount automount volumes
> >> and how does one disable automounting? If gnome-mount would not
> >> automount on startup, volumes can be mounted and unmounted without
> >> error. If it does automount, I'm receiving the error message
> >> "mounted by uid UNKNOWN".
> >
> > gnome-volume-manager is responsible for mounting file systems.  How many
> > instances or g-v-m are you running?  Do you have any other scripts or
> > session instances that start gnome-mount?
> >
> > Joe
> >

> Joe,
>
> thank you for your time on this.
>
> %ps ax | grep vol
>  1265  ??  Ss     0:04.87 gnome-volume-manager --sm-disable
>
> There's just one instance running and it's started from gnome-session.
>
> How does g-v-m decide on which volumes to mount (automount) at gdm
> login?

It depends on the settings in the Removable Drives and Media capplet.
It may not mount anything.  If "Mount removable media when inserted" is
not checked, then g-v-m will not mount anything when it starts.

> I _think_ I've solved that problem. I've compared the hald and
> polkitd settings with my desktop system (which is less manipulated
> than my notebook) I've figured out the hal-storage-fixed* settings
> are set to 'Allow=' by default. On my troubled notebook system, I've
> had 'Allow=uid:__all__' in it.
>
> Setting this to 'Allow=' and rebooting the system, Gnome came up
> with no automounted volumes.

What volumes exactly were being mounted that were not mounted before?
This setting should only control the mounting of fixed disks (i.e. those
with storage.removable=false in hal).

> Could you please give me some pointers on how hald, polkitd, g-v-m
> and gnome-mount interact and which knobs and settings are where to
> find? I would try to start some man pages for them as this issue
> seems to be a typical "user (me) did stupid things and screwed up a
> running system by the lack of docs". But I need more knowledge about
> these to write anything about them.

Admittedly, there is what I consider to be a bug in g-v-m where it will
try to mount all unmounted volumes with info.ignore=false as long as
that "Mount removable media when inserted" box is checked.  I think
there needs to be a separate property that explicitly lets one disable
the auto-mounting of fixed media.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org