Port upgrade: www/firefox. Added GUI selection support

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 15 20:41:03 GMT 2005

Adam Weinberger wrote:
| Michael Johnson wrote:
|

|> On Jun 15, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

|> on OLDER versions of windows. you could always download an older
|> version of freebsd and run an older version of firefox.
|>
|>> Uh? Aren't we talking about FreeBSD?

|>> Please, there have plenty of different browser for Linux/FreeBSD.
|>> lynx, link, dillo, opera, and goes on...

| This discussion is getting silly. Someone needs to make a decision, and
| someone needs to commit it. I'm on vacation, so I'm not committing right
| now, but I will make a decision about this (follow it as you wish):
|
| * gtk12 support will *not* be added. We don't build gtk12 support into
| other apps, and we won't here.
|
| * Xlib/no-XUL support *will* be added. This should give people a nice
| option for slower machines who don't want to be bogged down by a GTK2
| dependency. Note, however, that the FreeBSD GNOME team all uses GTK2, so
|  the Xlib-only option won't get much committer testing in all likelihood.

Then why do it at all?  If none of us are going to support this option,
and only one or two users want it, why should we commit it?  The
submitter already has a patch that works for him.  He can post the patch
for others to use.  Why add something else that may earn us more bug
reports if no one on the team will be testing and maintaining the option?

I'm all for dropping both of these patches unless one of the FreeBSD
GNOME guys wants to step up and offer support.

Joe

| Mezz, ahze, do either of you want to commit this?
|
| # Adam

- --
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome