textproc/libxslt depending on libxml >= 2.6.15

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Jan 14 10:18:09 PST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:01:31 -0500, Adam Weinberger <adamw at FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> Linus Nordberg wrote:
>> "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7 at cox.net> wrote
>> Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:08:20 -0600:
>>  |  > # $FreeBSD: ports/textproc/libxslt/Makefile,v 1.68 2004/10/29
>> |  > 18:58:25  marcus Exp $
>> |  > fails.
>> |  >> From config.log:
>> |  > configure:22284: checking for libxml libraries >= 2.6.15
>> |  > configure:22343: error: Version 2.6.13 found. You need at least
>> |  > libxml2  2.6.15 for this version of libxslt
>> |  >
>> |  > (Makefile rev. 1.69 is current but it fixes a libcrypt dependency
>> only.)
>> |  |  Please use the portupgrade and you will not have that kind of
>> |  problem. We  have 2.6.16 in ports tree.
>>  I was under the impression that the ports system handles these kind of
>> dependencies through LIB_DEPENDS in the Makefiles.  How is portupgrade
>> supposed to solve this in the case where you don't have libxslt
>> installed to begin with?
>
> Because libxslt can't install until libxml2 is upgraded. Running
> 'portupgrade -a' will ensure that all your ports are up-to-date. At the
> very least, 'portupgrade libxml2' should fix your libxslt build problem.
>
>> I enjoy portupgrade from time to time but sometimes I just can't wait
>> the three to four hours it takes to rebuild INDEX.tmp on my
>> system. :-(

I agree, this is nasty.

> Try this:

Or another way if you don't use INDEX like me.

# echo $PORTS_INDEX
/usr/ports/INDEX.dummy

# ls -l /usr/ports/INDEX.dummy
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Nov 26 13:12 /usr/ports/INDEX.dummy

As you can see that my INDEX.dummy is always empty and portupgrade will
not bother to poke around with the INDEX. Warning, portversion and very
few other will not work without a real INDEX, but I never need those
thought.

> # cd /usr/ports
> # make fetchindex
> # portupgrade portupgrade
>
> The new version of portupgrade fetches INDEX, which takes 5 seconds,
> instead of rebuilding it, which takes around 8 years.
>
> # Adam

FreeBSD GNOME Team