Gstreamer-plugins splitting ports .. needs testing and feed back ?

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Thu Oct 7 01:26:59 PDT 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 04:45, Michael Johnson wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2004, at 4:19 PM, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 October 2004 21:50, Michael Johnson wrote:
> >> but only a select few ports use ogg/vorbis and cdparanoia
> >
> > Well, with mp3 license problems, it's one of the safest path.
> > Most GPL products go now in that way.  Linux, KDE ..
> > Right now, any mp3 encoder is threaded.  It's not only lame.
> > And problems with mp3 decoders are not closed.
> >
> > Yes.  Right Now, all is mp3.  But if you want digital music in your
> > pc next year from packages,  better have ogg/vorbis and
> > vorbis-tools (encoder) everywhere.
>
> The mp3 license problem will never be a problem for
> gstreamer-plugins, due to the fact it does not have any mp3
> encoder/decoder by itself. If this becomes a problem in the future
> they will add RESTRICTED or similar to lame, mad, etc and not
> gstreamer-plugins.

From lame Makefile:
CONFIGURE_ARGS= --enable-nasm --enable-mp3rtp --disable-gtktest

NO_PACKAGE=     "patent issues, see http://www.mp3licensing.com/"

MAN1=           lame.1

So, if gnome2-lite inludes any dependence on a gstreamer-plugin-lame,
our install from CD1 is, in some form, broken.  And, right now, CD1
includes gnome2, not gnome2-lite.

You may get some similar from the libxine -> dbjfft problem.

Maybe this doesn't real matters to gstreamer-plugins,  but it must be
take in account when you make a port [in]direct pedend on a mp3
encoder.

This is the main reason you can put any of this in the base plugin or in
main dependencies (audio/multimedia programs in gnome2-lite).

--
  josemi