Gstreamer-plugins splitting ports .. needs testing and feed back ?

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Tue Oct 5 23:18:14 PDT 2004

El Miércoles, 6 de Octubre de 2004 02:51, Joe Marcus Clarke escribió:
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 08:04, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> > > That works when ports are being install interactively.  However,
> > > when doing package building, we don't have that luxury.  We could
> > > mark a port BROKEN if gstreamer-plugins was built without MAD
> > > support (the default), but that would mean we couldn't package
> > > it.
> >
> > If gstreamer-plugins becomes a metaport selector, no port may
> > depend on this.  They must depends on a gstreamer-plugins-base and
> > the plugins it really needs.
> >
> > I think it must detect PACKAGE_BUILDING and only depends on
> > gstreamer-plugins-base in that case.
> >
> > This is a real big 'logistic' effort.  It isn't by any means
> > 'easy'.
>
> I don't really think we need a selector port, though that's certainly
> a possibility.  These plug-ins are pretty useless by themselves.
> They're really only useful if another application will load them
> (yes, you can use the GST command line tools, but how many users
> really do that?).

Any way you choose, what you can't do is depend on a port with variable
content by the presence of a file/library.  This is the real thread.

If this is a real plugin architecture, the ports may detect just what is
installed.

I also think that a port selector isn't needed.

At last here, the safest and easy path seems:

- Convert multimedia/gstreamer-plugin in a base plugin port with fixed
content.
  * All that 'you really want' in the most basic install.
 The actual bento build must be a good base.
  * All that is critical enough to not safe build out of this.
  * Take off auto detection.

- Add external ports to the rest.

> > > Splitting the port into multiple ports would give us the ability
> > > to package any port.  An obvious example of this is the upcoming
> > > gnomemedia2 which will require CD Paranoia support in gst.
> > >
> > > The major disadvantage to this approach is the overwhelming
> > > administrative burden it adds.  It's a pain to test [py-]libxml2
> > > and [py-]libxslt.  I can't imagine what a gstreamer-plugins
> > > update will do. For that reason, it might be nice to still have
> > > the ability to test-build all plug-ins in a monolithic way.
> >
> > a gstreamer-plugins-test or gstreamer-plugins-devel port?
>
> Ideally, we shouldn't need an additional port.  The gstreamer-plugins
> port should have the knobs to do this.  However, if it would be
> easier, then creating a separate test port would be okay.

Allright.  But seems easy convert gstreamer-plugins in a fixed content
port and add the knobs in other port.  This will make actual ports
depenencies on gstreamer-plugins still valid after change.

> Of course, if the maintainer(s) are willing to forgo this, and handle
> all the upgrade work themselves, who am I to complain.
>
> Joe

sure.

--
  josemi