Unmounting SMB shares on the desktop

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Nov 22 18:28:34 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 20:51 -0500, Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 20:22 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 19:04 -0500, Tom McLaughlin wrote:
> >

> > > Now that I think of it, possibly these two different connect methods are
> > > conflicting with one another and causing me to lose my SMB mounts?
> >
> > Maybe.  The way I tested this was to go to File->Connect to server in
> > Nautilus, and plug in the values for two shares on the same server.
> > Unmounting one of the shares did _not_ cause the other share to become
> > inaccessible.
> >
> > Joe
> >

> I might toy around with this some more.  So far by mounting via the
> network:/// path things are doing fine.  By chance, do your samba shares
> require authentication like mine?  I need to login with a user and pass
> plus a domain of STRAYCAT (WORKGROUP is the default Gnome uses).

Yes, my shares use workgroup/user/password authentication, but I have
that all stored in my keyring.

>   I'm
> wondering if this is a problem with Gnome not retaining the proper
> authentication parameters.  When I go through the network:/// location
> it automatically pops up an authentication dialogue if keys don't exist
> in the key-ring.  Connecting from File -> Connect to Server does not pop
> up a dialogue and doesn't appear to use my keys.

File->Connect pops up an authentication dialog, but there are no
defaults.  If I just fill in the server name, I get an icon on the
desktop.  When I click on the icon, I do get a connection pop-up that
does appear to use my keyring keys.

Joe