[kde-freebsd] X related scripts in Xclients ports

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Mon Nov 15 15:55:30 PST 2004

El Lunes, 15 de Noviembre de 2004 14:00, Andy Fawcett escribió:
> On Monday 15 November 2004 14:57, Lauri Watts wrote:
> > On Monday 15 November 2004 11:51, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > after a time working with my xdm script (/etc/rc.d/0xdm) I think
> > > it's time to go send-pr
> > >
> > > Also noted that going to scripts (actual gdm and future xdm) can
> > > generate race conditions between init gettys and xdm.
> > >
> > > The safe option I found is use fixed vts with xdm Xserver (vt9),
> > > but I'm not sure how do that with gdm
> > >
> > > Any comments on this are welcome.
> >
> > The only comment I have is why is this an improvement?
> >
> > I really don't understand the point of all this.  kdm runs
> > perfectly well out of /etc/ttys, from the command line, and just
> > about any other way you care to run it.    So what's the use of
> > this, other than complicating things?
> >
> > Will you be providing all the user support for this stuff?  Will
> > running kdm the normal way still be supported?  How is doing this
> > easier than changing one simple line in ttys?
>
> I'm in complete agreement with Lauri on this one. I fail to see where
> the improvement is, and if anything it makes things worse because of
> POLA.
>
> For me, I don't want to see such a change.
>
> A.

This doesn't affect POLA or launch from /etc/ttys at all.

You must define in /etc/rc.conf:
XDM_ENABLE=yes
XDM_PROGRAM=/usr/local/bin/kdm

before this can launch kdm.

the main goal is a way to share a launch method between gdm/kdm/xdm.
Also, have a easy way of cope with http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/
without touching kde packages.

The only I request from kde@ are some advice in web or pkg-message.
This doesn't deprecate launch of kdm from /etc/ttys.

--
  josemi