problems with fresh gnome-2.8.1 installation

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Fri Nov 12 13:26:38 PST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:39:20 -0300, Fernan Aguero
<fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar> wrote:

> +----[ Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> (12.Nov.2004 15:59):
> |
> | On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:41:16 -0300, Fernan Aguero
> | <fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar> wrote:
> |
> | >Hi again,

<snip>

> | >- I have also seen this happen once with mergeant
> | >  (Applications->Office->Mergeant Database Administration)
> | >  however, in another gnome-session it launched fine. This
> | >  is not the case with dasher.
> |
> | Mergeant is not stable, but the version in marcuscom works better than
> in
> | FreeBSD ports tree.
>
> Excuse me but ... what is marcuscom? a machine you test
> gnome on? I mean not the building of gnome but actually
> using it?

Will following up in another email...

> | >- the applications menu is laaarge. For some reason, it
> | >  included all my KDE apps in the main menu and not in the
> | >  more specific KDE submenu. Also for no apparent reason,
> | >  three KDE apps are in their corresponding menus (ark,
> | >  konqueror and kmix).
> |
> | Reinstall gnomevfs2 with WITHOUT_KDE_MENUS define. As you said that it
> is
> | large, can you take the screenshot of it? You can send it to me in
> private
> | if you don't have any web space to put. I worked on KDE menu to make it
> | looks nicer than default, but I haven't touch it ever since for pretty
> | long time.
> |
> | Cheers,
> | Mezz
> |
> +----]
>
> The screenshot of the visible part of the menu is here
> http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/gnome-menu.gif
>
> As for the KDE apps being there, now I see where they come
> from! I was intrigued that having renamed my .kde files the
> entries in the menu were still there.

So, you mean all of your KDE menu stuff are in ~/.kde where gnomevfs2 took
from? Just want to make sure before I do all the work again with KDE by
install it, and test and hack. I only work with KDE menu with gnomevfs2 by
read in ${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk/ long time ago, so if all your KDE menu
are from ~/.kde then I don't think I can do that much.

If you have the very up to date of KDE and gnomevfs2 read in
${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk/, then you can send me tarball of
${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk (or I can download it) and I can try to work
with it to make it looks nicer again..

> However, is it necessary to reinstall gnomevfs2?

Aww, rebuild/reinstall gnomevfs2 doesn't take that long. ;-)

> From reading the Makefile I think that perhaps I can just
> remove the 'KDE.directory' file from
> ${PREFIX}/share/gnome/vfolders. Would this do it?

You can remove that 'KDE.directory', then remove all
'<MergeDir>/usr/local/share/applnk/*/</MergeDir>' and KDE/QT lines in
${X11BASE}/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info
..

> Fernan

FreeBSD GNOME Team