problems with fresh gnome-2.8.1 installation

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Fri Nov 12 13:52:36 PST 2004

+----[ Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net> (12.Nov.2004 18:28):

| >Excuse me but ... what is marcuscom? a machine you test
| >gnome on? I mean not the building of gnome but actually
| >using it?
|
| Will following up in another email...

It's OK I already got some info on this.

| >|
| >| Reinstall gnomevfs2 with WITHOUT_KDE_MENUS define. As you said that it
| >is
| >| large, can you take the screenshot of it? You can send it to me in
| >private
| >| if you don't have any web space to put. I worked on KDE menu to make it
| >| looks nicer than default, but I haven't touch it ever since for pretty
| >| long time.
| >|
| >| Cheers,
| >| Mezz
| >|
| >+----]
| >
| >The screenshot of the visible part of the menu is here
| >http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/gnome-menu.gif
| >
| >As for the KDE apps being there, now I see where they come
| >from! I was intrigued that having renamed my .kde files the
| >entries in the menu were still there.
|
| So, you mean all of your KDE menu stuff are in ~/.kde where gnomevfs2 took
| from?

No. I just thought that gnome was reading my ~/.kde to get
my kde entries for the menu ... but I think I was wrong.

| Just want to make sure before I do all the work again with KDE by
| install it, and test and hack. I only work with KDE menu with gnomevfs2 by
| read in ${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk/ long time ago, so if all your KDE menu
| are from ~/.kde then I don't think I can do that much.

Now I see, yes I do have a populated
${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk/, is this what gnomevfs reads to
fill the menu?

If so, I don't get why it's putting all entries together,
since in applnk they are correctly put into categories.

| If you have the very up to date of KDE and gnomevfs2 read in
| ${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk/, then you can send me tarball of
| ${LOCALBASE}/share/applnk (or I can download it) and I can try to work
| with it to make it looks nicer again..

I do have a tarball of applnk if you want it
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/applnk.tar.gz

but it's not very up to date:
[fernan at pi] pkg_version -v -s kde
kde-3.1.4                           <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdeaddons-3.1.4                     <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdeadmin-3.1.4                      <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdeartwork-3.1.4                    <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdebase-3.1.4                       <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdeedu-3.1.4                        <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdegames-3.1.4                      <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdegraphics-3.1.4                   <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdelibs-3.1.4                       <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdemultimedia-3.1.4                 <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdenetwork-3.1.4                    <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdepim-3.1.4                        <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1_1)
kdesdk-3.1.4                        <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdetoys-3.1.4                       <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdeutils-3.1.4                      <   needs updating (port has 3.3.1)
kdevelop-2.1.5                      <   needs updating (port has 3.1.1)

| >However, is it necessary to reinstall gnomevfs2?
|
| Aww, rebuild/reinstall gnomevfs2 doesn't take that long. ;-)

I was not worried by the time it would take. I was just
thinking that if I can tweak a file or two, then re-building
a port was not that necessary.

| >From reading the Makefile I think that perhaps I can just
| >remove the 'KDE.directory' file from
| >${PREFIX}/share/gnome/vfolders. Would this do it?
|
| You can remove that 'KDE.directory', then remove all
| '<MergeDir>/usr/local/share/applnk/*/</MergeDir>' and KDE/QT lines in
| ${X11BASE}/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info
| ..
|
| Cheers,
| Mezz

+----]

OK, that's what I wanted to hear :)

Regards,

Fernan

--
Fernán Agüero | Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnológicas
email         | fernan at { iib.unsam.edu.ar , mail.retina.ar }