MIME-Types handlers for gnome

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Nov 10 23:46:32 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:34:25 +0300, Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova at sw.ru>
wrote:

> В ср, 10/11/2004 в 16:48 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke пишет:
>
>> > Yes, it works somehow, but not in best way, no program title
>> definition,
>> > no icon for mime-type
>> >
>> > Also binary name in "Open with ..."  menu not best idea, IMHO
>> >
>> > like "Open in smath", when other (auth-installed applications has good
>> > descriptions)
>> >
>> > I guess it is possible to edit mime/type manually,
>> > can you provide some hints ?
>>
>> Don't do it.  You can muck around ~/.local/share/*, but most of those
>> files are dynamically generated, so I wouldn't expect consistent
>> results.
>
> Ok, but it is works, only question still open is how to add
> mime/type <-> icon association for nautilus, it does not have number of
> icons for different types of files by default (for example both AbiWord
> and OpenOffice can open M$Word .doc files but both do not install icon
> for that file-type)

This one, you will have to report or request to the
AbiWord/OpenOffice/GNOME developers. You can check in
${X11}/share/gnome/applications/abiword.desktop for the 'MimeType' line.
AbiWord developers chose to not put mimetype of doc in it. GNOME's
mimetype system still isn't that great if you ask me.

>> > It is not possible from evolution :(
>> > so I should save file first and then open properties with nautilus.
>>
>> I guess.  So far Evolution 2.0 has been pretty good with opening
>> attachments for me.
>
> Yes, opening is good for me to, but you can't configure custom "open-
> with" form evolution.
>
> Only issue with evolution is nasty printing, it works but when I go
> through print dialogue it holds entire evolution for 10s of seconds, I
> think it is problem of Gnome<->CUPs integration.
>
>> Joe

FreeBSD GNOME Team