Problems building Firefox 1.0.r2 on FreeBSD 5.3 RC2

kevin godfrey daemon.kevin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 13:19:12 PST 2004

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:57:43 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke
<marcus at marcuscom.com> wrote:
> What happens when you run the command manually?  What shell do you have
> setup for root?

Here is the output from running the command while su'd to root in an aterm:

# /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit
/usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/lib/firefox-1.0/run-mozilla.sh
/usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/lib/firefox-1.0/firefox-bin
-install-global-extension /usr/X11/bin/Xvfb :1001

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.

Xlib: No protocol specified

giving up.
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit:  unable to connect to X server
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Root's shell is the basic /bin/sh

When I run the command with > /dev/null 2>&1 appended to it, it takes
about 45 seconds to finish... (again, this is in an aterm window while
su'd to root).

But it does complete.

The same thing applies to the line after it in pkg-install.sh

However, the port install hangs for over 7 hours (I let it run overnight).

Thanks for the response!