Long delays in Gnome2 start up

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Thu Mar 11 13:40:04 PST 2004

Hi Mezz.,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>"
To: To Stacey Roberts
Date: Thu, 11 Mar, 2004 21:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Long delays in Gnome2 start up

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:17:03 +0000, Stacey Roberts
> <stacey at vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello Mezz..,
> >      Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I often create two users that I can use, but only use one. I've never had the need to use any other than my primary user, so when this problem started last night I figured on checking to see if it happens for everyone (including root).

As things turned out, both root and the other (spare) user can log in fine.

Thought I should also mention that for my primary user (the account for whom the delays occur), I'd already tried the following: -

1] rm -rf .g*
2] rm -rf .esd*
3] Ran startx
4] Gnome2 starts fine
5] Do nothing
6] Log off
7] Run startx again
8] Long delay in Gnome2 startup

I've done that procedure about four times now, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Thanks for the reply, by the way.

Regards,

Stacey

> Cheers,
> Mezz
>
> >>One more thing, make sure your hostname is working. X will startup very
> >>slow if you don't have the correct hostname. IE: fix the /etc/hosts by
> >>add
> >>your hostname in it point on 127.0.0.1.
> >
> >This is not a problem.
> >
> >What *has* become a problem that I've noticed as well, is the fact that
> >even attempting to log out of Gnome2 takes almost 5 minutes now too.
> >This is the time from clicking on "Actions", "Log Out".., desktop locks
> >up.., five minutes later, the confirmation dialogue box appears.
> >Clicking on "Okay", results in the log out then proceeding as per normal.
> >

> >>BTW: reinstall apps aren't always a solution.
> >
> >One would think that, but at the end of the day, I'm inclined to
> >reinstall something that's broken, rather than work with something that
> >was "hacked back together". The fact that this machine was up and
> >running well after the reinstall of Gnome back in 2002.
> >
> >Thanks again for taking the time.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Stacey
> >

> >>Cheers,