New GNOME splash screen

Thu Jan 8 07:15:05 PST 2004

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:36:41 +0100
Franz Klammer <klammer at webonaut.com> wrote:

> >I think it's time for a "random splash screen"-feature... else we won't
> >be able to show every good one. And you know what "they" say about
> >bikesheds. :-)
>
> why you have written this :-(
> now i can't go away from my pc until i have a solution ...

Do you want some more ideas? :-)

> and now exists: splash-set
>
> download at: http://webonaut.com/temp/splash/files/
>
> it accepts the parameter "--random" to set a random image.
> called without parameter it start in the gui-mode.

Wow! I haven't looked at it, but "Nice work!".

> default the splash screens are searched in /usr/X11....../splash/*
> if you want to use a different directory it can be changed by
> editing flash_files_dir in the source.
>
> it's a quick hack or version 0.1-alpha ;-) but it works.

Can we expect a command line option instead of modifying flash_files_dir
in v0.2? What about a port? Can we have a RUN_DEPENDS upon it in
gnome-session? And some nice splash screens by default?... ok, I'll shut
up now. :-)

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I will be available to get hired in April 2004.