New GNOME splash screen

Franz Klammer klammer at webonaut.com
Thu Jan 8 08:11:06 PST 2004

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:36:41 +0100
>Franz Klammer <klammer at webonaut.com> wrote:
>

>>>I think it's time for a "random splash screen"-feature... else we won't
>>>be able to show every good one. And you know what "they" say about
>>>bikesheds. :-)
>>>

>>why you have written this :-(
>>now i can't go away from my pc until i have a solution ...
>>

>Do you want some more ideas? :-)

better not! ;-)

>>and now exists: splash-set
>>
>>download at: http://webonaut.com/temp/splash/files/
>>
>>it accepts the parameter "--random" to set a random image.
>>called without parameter it start in the gui-mode.
>>

>Wow! I haven't looked at it, but "Nice work!".

thanks!

>>default the splash screens are searched in /usr/X11....../splash/*
>>if you want to use a different directory it can be changed by
>>editing flash_files_dir in the source.
>>
>>it's a quick hack or version 0.1-alpha ;-) but it works.
>>

>Can we expect a command line option instead of modifying flash_files_dir
>in v0.2? What about a port? Can we have a RUN_DEPENDS upon it in
>gnome-session? And some nice splash screens by default?... ok, I'll shut
>up now. :-)

oh, yes! i have some ideas i like to implement/do:

- configuration dialog that stores the config in gconf
- gnome-session support (change splash on startup for the next session)
- better gui
- better random code
- bundled with some splash-screens?
- also a port after a beta is released
- ...???... (to be defined ;-))

but there a much to learn for me. before i stated this little program
i didn't know how to load and scale an image.

Franz.

ps:
about your other question: i didn't have an specific idea what header to use
on a stable splash - maybe somthing nature-like at the gnome site, or ...?