games/gcompris* update

Alexander Nedotsukov bland at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 26 23:18:04 PST 2004

John Hay wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking at updating the games/gcompris2 port and see that its
>maintainer is gnome at . I have two questions:
>
>There is currently a gcompris and gcompris2 port, but the latest version
>of gcompris is 5.2, so what should the port be called? It looks like
>the gcompris2 port was made to support gnome2 and 5.2 still use gnome2,
>so should it still be gcompris2 or should gcompris2 just be retired and
>gcompris be updated?
>
>The current gcompris2 port put most of its data in share/gnome/gcompris
>and from the patches it looks like it was easy to do it that way, but
>in 5.2 a lot more Makefiles have to be patched to achieve that. Should
>I keep on using that directory or is the "natural" directory of the
>program (share/gcompris) ok to use?
>
>Maybe a last question, when I am finished with the port, do I just
>post it here for review or do i just commit it and wait for a post-
>commit review? Or is there someone specific that is interested in
>reviewing it?
>
>Thanks.

I think you shoud follow generic rule of dealing with ports maintained
by other people.
Second you may want to use this as start point:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~bland/gcompriss2.patch
    http://people.freebsd.org/~bland/libassetml.shar
I did this some time ago but not commited because besides gcompross have
--without-python configure option it still complains a lot about missing
modules at run-time. So it usable but definetly provoke a lot of python
related PRs I won't to deal with this time.

All the best,
Alexander.