Running GNOME-based Apps W/O GNOME

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Dec 19 14:04:25 PST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:10:47 -0500, Bob Perry <rperry4 at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE and understand
> that GNOME no longer supports this version.  One option
> is to run another desktop/window manager.  However, I
> also run AbiWord, GnuCash, and other applications I
> understand require GNOME.  I've read that some of
> the apps are being, or have been re-written to work
> without GNOME but may have some performance issues.
>
> Is there a source that readily addresses performance
> issues inherent to the apps that are GNOME-based if
> they are run without GNOME?

Those apps don't enable GNOME by default and they never required GNOME,
unless you already have GNOME installed. You can override the autocheck of
GNOME by use WITHOUT_GNOME define.

As for performance stuff, I have no idea and I really never compare them.
You can test and compare them by yourself for with and without GNOME.

> Thanks.
> Bob Perry

FreeBSD GNOME Team