Running GNOME-based Apps W/O GNOME

Bob Perry rperry4 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 19 13:06:41 PST 2004

I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE and understand
that GNOME no longer supports this version.  One option
is to run another desktop/window manager.  However, I
also run AbiWord, GnuCash, and other applications I
understand require GNOME.  I've read that some of
the apps are being, or have been re-written to work
without GNOME but may have some performance issues.

Is there a source that readily addresses performance
issues inherent to the apps that are GNOME-based if
they are run without GNOME?

Thanks.
Bob Perry

--
I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly
distributed.

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p2 #0