motherboard has died, any recommend? nForce2? or else?

mezz7 at cox.net mezz7 at cox.net
Wed Aug 25 15:54:08 PDT 2004

Hello,

Current I am stuck in the webmail and family computer for now. Anyway, my motherboard just died last night so it looks like I will have to shopping for some new hardwares. It is a desktop and I reinstall GNOME stuff for test pretty often. I am pretty happy with the AthlonXP 2000 speed, so I don't really need any power or expensive hardwares.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend me what chipest (include motherboard) should I buy? nForce2? VIA? or whatever? I personal like AMD, btw. :-) The nForce2 chipest is one thing that I am not sure how it plays nice with FreeBSD. I think, I might pick AthlonXP Barton 2800 to 3200 as my choice of CPU. No Athlon64 or newest CPU, all I need is stable that will work very well with FreeBSD.

All I need is chipest or motherboard recommend then I will pick CPU, HD, RAM and etc by myself because I know what to get. Thanks!