motherboard has died, any recommend? nForce2? or else?

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Wed Aug 25 19:49:42 PDT 2004

Hi,

mezz7 at cox.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Current I am stuck in the webmail and family computer for now. Anyway, my motherboard just died last night so it looks like I will have to shopping for some new hardwares. It is a desktop and I reinstall GNOME stuff for test pretty often. I am pretty happy with the AthlonXP 2000 speed, so I don't really need any power or expensive hardwares.
>
> I am wondering if anyone can recommend me what chipest (include motherboard) should I buy? nForce2? VIA? or whatever? I personal like AMD, btw. :-) The nForce2 chipest is one thing that I am not sure how it plays nice with FreeBSD. I think, I might pick AthlonXP Barton 2800 to 3200 as my choice of CPU. No Athlon64 or newest CPU, all I need is stable that will work very well with FreeBSD.
>
> All I need is chipest or motherboard recommend then I will pick CPU, HD, RAM and etc by myself because I know what to get. Thanks!

You could try an dual Athlon board from Tyan which is out of production
but still available in the market. I run FreeBSD on a Thunder K7 without
any problems.

It is not the fastest motherboard but real stable. It just runs.

The price tag could be pretty low if the dealer wants to clear the stock.

Erich