pkgdb -F (was: Re: editors/AbiWord2: configure error / libgnomeprint-2.2)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Sep 28 14:11:19 PDT 2003

> It seems like you probably have some pkgdb corruption.
> Try running 'pkgdb -F' to fix all the problems, then portupgrade again.

<rant>

this sounds sooo simple.  but one ends up diving through the darn
ports references by hand because somehow pkgdb seems unable to do
so.  and, if portsdb -Uu does it, why should i run pkgdb at all?

it would seem to me that the transitive closure of the dependency
graph is traversable, and the needed data are present in the ports
tree.  why do we keep doing this manually?

i must be missing something here.

randy