gnome2 installation gotcha

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri May 9 09:24:55 PDT 2003

I ran into a problem when upgrading one of my desktops from gnome 1.4
to gnome 2.2. The install was fine until I got to gdm. It brings up the
security warning screen and, since I don't use gdm, I said to not
install it. It then terminated the gnome2 install with an error, leaving
much un-installed including xscreensaver, the user guide, fileroller and
many others.

While I noticed the problem immediately, I suspect gnome2 has often been
partially installed because of this. I know several of my co-workers who
had the Unix admin team install FreeBSD had this happen. (Why don't I
have screensaver?)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)