gdm-2.4.1.4 not launching

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Fri May 9 10:14:28 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 12:06, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> I do not have the original thread on this machine so am starting anew
> thread.  I said in the other gdm thread that I would check the machine
> at work that I just did a clean install on to see if the new gdm worked.
>
> It does not.  I see the same result as on my home machine.  The
> gdm-binary process launches, the screen goes back to the console, and
> the gdm-binary process can only be killed with kill -9.
>
> This was a fresh install of -CURRENT,
> FreeBSD 5.1-BETA #0: Thu May  8 12:42:08 CDT 2003     root at node1.cluster.srrc.usda.gov:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLUSTER-FW

Well, I'm

FreeBSD jclarke-pc.cisco.com 5.1-BETA FreeBSD 5.1-BETA #15: Thu May 8
12:45:49 EDT 2003
marcus at jclarke-pc.cisco.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/JCLARKE-PC i386

And it works.  I'm in the process of converting this machine to GNOME
2.3, so I'll see if it still works after that.  I'll also check on the
PAM thing.  However, gdm should only look at PAM services "gdm" and
"gdm-autologin".

Joe