FreeBSD 6.3-Release fixit and gmirror (7.0-RC1 too)

Ulf Lilleengen lulf at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Feb 1 01:31:45 PST 2008

On tor, jan 31, 2008 at 09:30:24am -0600, Eric F Crist wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I've got a problem with geom and 6.3-RELEASE/7.0-RC1 that is described in
> greater detail below, in a conversation that started with Ivan Voras and
> myself.  Please CC me on this thread, as I'm not on geom at .
>
> I've also filled out a Problem Report on this issue:
>
> > Thank you very much for your problem report.
> > It has the internal identification `misc/120169'.
> > The individual assigned to look at your
> > report is: freebsd-bugs.
> >
> > You can access the state of your problem report at any time
> > via this link:
>
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=120169
>
> Thanks folks!
>
> Eric Crist
>
> On Jan 30, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Ivan Voras wrote:
>
>> On 30/01/2008, Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:
>>> Ivan,
>>>
>>> First off, I apologize if you're the wrong person to address this
>>> issue to.  Please feel free to send me in the correct direction.
>>>
>>> We've had a routine we've used for quite some time now regarding
>>> installing gmirror on our boot devices, which involved using gmirror
>>> from the Fixit CD to tag and load gmirror onto your boot partition.
>>> *All* versions of the 6.3 and 7.0 CDs we've tested have a flaw where
>>> they seem to have a greatly crippled version of gmirror.
>>>
>>> I found your post to freebsd-stable regarding the amd64 7.0 RC1 live
>>> cd from Johan Hendriks, and you mentioned that he should symlink /dist/
>>> lib/geom to /lib/geom.  We already do that in a why, by first
>>> chrooting to /dist.  When I do this, /lib/geom appears where it should.
>>>
>>> I have been able to successfully use a 6.2-RELEASE CD in the mean time
>>> to get gmirror installed on new systems, but I wanted to make certain
>>> this is indeed a bug rather than designed.  I've noticed there are now
>>> three install CDs, rather than 2, which has been historical, without
>>> considering the documentation CD.
>>
>> It is a bug, and quite silly one. I remember there has been attempt at
>> fixing it (AFAIK the proposed solution was to ad an environment
>> variable pointing to the correct directory) but either it was done
>> wrongly or somebody forgot to MFC the change. It's an annoying little
>> problem when trying to set up a new system and it should have been
>> fixed ages ago.
I committed the fix after testing it with RELENG_7. The problem was that not
all the GEOM libraries was loaded since the libary path was not set. This fix
added the GEOM_LIBRARY_PATH environment-variable to the fixit-environment,
and was added in rev 1.11 of src/release/fixit.profile

I tested this fix by generating a livefs-CD and it did fix the issue with the
libraries not being loaded.

The change was also MFCed to RELENG_7, RELENG_6 and RELENG_6_3. More about
the issue can be found in PR misc/113543.

I don't think the fix was incorrect,  but I'll try reproduce this and try
find a fix for this case.

--
Ulf Lilleengen