geom_raid5 livelock?

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Sat Jan 13 17:43:25 UTC 2007

R. B. Riddick wrote:
> --- CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo at cyberleo.net> wrote:
> Possibly there happens an ENOMEM error, which would explain the repititions...
>
> A further debug line (it is again at debug level 2) before the current line
> 1165 (inside the inbed==children IF but in the end of it):
> G_RAID5_LOGREQ(bp, "[ready err%d cmp%jd]", obp->bio_error, obp->bio_completed);
> Or turn on "bootverbose"...
>
> For better data safety (e. g. in case of a power loss), I would recommend to
> reduce kern.geom.raid5.wdt to 0 or 1 (the lower the safer).
>
> For less memory consumtion I would use lower values for .maxmem and for
> .maxwql...

Good morning!

http://home.cyberleo.net/cyberleo/workspace/Zip/graid5-all2.log
http://home.cyberleo.net/cyberleo/workspace/Zip/graid5-all2-2.log

I'm not sure what error 5 is, but it looks ominous.

The first log shows two seconds of the first test, where only ad2s2 was
showing up. The second log is after a restart of everything, and ad0s2,
ad2s2, and ad6s2 show up, indicating that this most likely isn't just a
drive, bus, or controller failure.

The machine is on a UPS, so power loss isn't too much of an issue. What
other impacts would reducing kern.geom.raid5.wdt have?

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://www.fur.com/peace/