geom_raid5 livelock?

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 13 08:57:52 UTC 2007

--- CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo at cyberleo.net> wrote:
> R. B. Riddick wrote:
> http://home.cyberleo.net/cyberleo/workspace/Zip/graid5-all.log
>
> That log contains two full seconds of requests, under the same
> circumstances as before (rsync and find processes stuck in wait, along
> with an 'ls' or two). If you need more, I can produce it.
>
> It appears to be completing requests, but always the same requests over
> and over. Watching the log for about a minute doesn't show any other
> requests during this time.
>
> [start] raid5/raid5[READ(offset=779825545216, length=16384)]
> [start] raid5/raid5[READ(offset=764410200064, length=16384)]

Hmm...
Thats strange...
Possibly there happens an ENOMEM error, which would explain the repititions...

A further debug line (it is again at debug level 2) before the current line
1165 (inside the inbed==children IF but in the end of it):
G_RAID5_LOGREQ(bp, "[ready err%d cmp%jd]", obp->bio_error, obp->bio_completed);
Or turn on "bootverbose"...

For better data safety (e. g. in case of a power loss), I would recommend to
reduce kern.geom.raid5.wdt to 0 or 1 (the lower the safer).

For less memory consumtion I would use lower values for .maxmem and for
.maxwql...

-Arne