GELI -> What to encrypt?

Christian Brueffer chris at unixpages.org
Tue Feb 7 22:03:52 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 01:20:00AM +0100, Christian Baer wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> This question may seem a little strange, but don't hit me yet. :-)
>
> I was just sitting here wanting to set up a new GELI-device when it
> struck me: What should I encrypt exactly. If I were to use GBDE, the
> usual concept is to encrpyt (only?) the actual partition ad2s1d. GELI
> suggests to encrypt all of ad2. I guess I could partition the
> pseudo-device then. Would I get something like ad2.gelis1d?
>
> Does this have any advantages oder just encrypting the partition and if
> so how important are these?

You'll probably find the following talk interesting, which was given at
EuroBSDCon and CCC last year:

https://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/fahrplan/events/1139.en.html

There's a link to the paper on that site as well.

- Christian

--
Christian Brueffer	chris at unixpages.org	brueffer at FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc