GELI -> What to encrypt?

Christian Baer christian.baer at informatik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Feb 7 16:21:12 PST 2006

Hi folks!

This question may seem a little strange, but don't hit me yet. :-)

I was just sitting here wanting to set up a new GELI-device when it
struck me: What should I encrypt exactly. If I were to use GBDE, the
usual concept is to encrpyt (only?) the actual partition ad2s1d. GELI
suggests to encrypt all of ad2. I guess I could partition the
pseudo-device then. Would I get something like ad2.gelis1d?

Does this have any advantages oder just encrypting the partition and if
so how important are these?

Cheers!
Chris