When will gmirror work in FreeBSD 5?

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Tue Aug 9 19:50:04 GMT 2005

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:03:41PM -0600, Schlake (William Colburn) wrote:
> +> My computer started out with 2 gmirrored drives on FreeBSD 5.  Back in
> +> March I got two new hard drives and gmirrored them for the extra space.
> +> I quickly discovered that my data was corrupted on writes.  A search of
> +> the bugs database revealed that this was a known issue
> +> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/77643).
> +>
> +> I'm out of disk space, and I would really like to use my two extra disks
> +> that have been spinning idle for the past five months, but there has
> +> been no work on the ticket?
>
> There is nothing to fix in gmirror, it should be fixed in ATA code.
> (CCing sos@, mdodd@ and njl@).

It will probably work with UDMA33 mode.  My VIA ata onboard controller
has a similar problem when being used at any faster mode.  Same drives
work fine with an ICH controller or at UDMA33 mode.  Cabling is fine also.

BTW, your complaint about my bugfix is unfounded.  By fixing the panic,
it merely reveals another underlying bug.

--
Nate