When will gmirror work in FreeBSD 5?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 9 18:26:18 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:03:41PM -0600, Schlake (William Colburn) wrote:
+> My computer started out with 2 gmirrored drives on FreeBSD 5.  Back in
+> March I got two new hard drives and gmirrored them for the extra space.
+> I quickly discovered that my data was corrupted on writes.  A search of
+> the bugs database revealed that this was a known issue
+> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/77643).
+>
+> I'm out of disk space, and I would really like to use my two extra disks
+> that have been spinning idle for the past five months, but there has
+> been no work on the ticket?

There is nothing to fix in gmirror, it should be fixed in ATA code.
(CCing sos@, mdodd@ and njl@).

+> Is this the right mailing list to ask in?  I've heard that gmirror still
+> works in FreeBSD 4.  Should I downgrade?

There is no gmirror in FreeBSD 4.x as there is no GEOM in FreeBSD 4.x.