EBS snapshot backups from a FreeBSD zfs file system: zpool freeze?

Berend de Boer berend at pobox.com
Thu Jul 4 09:48:44 UTC 2013

    Berend> Do you think (yes, I will definitely test this), that ZFS
    Berend> can mount a file system consisting of a couple of disk
    Berend> (raidz2 setup), and access it even though every disk might
    Berend> be a backup taken at a slighty different time?

Answering my own question: raidz2, four disks, 128GB disks each, no
writing happening can be backed up with an EBS snapshot, then turned
into volumes (disks) again and mounted on another FreeBSD without
apparent ill effects.

The snapshots of the four disks were about 2 seconds apart each.

zfs took perhaps 30 seconds to start on the second server.

No snapshot was available (only had done one of a file system, no zfs
snapshot -r was ever done). Didn't do any rollback.

Next step is to do take the snapshot while writing stuff is going on.

Then what you suggested: taking a snapshot first, and rollback after
mount.

--
All the best,

Berend de Boer