regarding kern/148655 fix for 8.1

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 14:48:46 UTC 2010

>> I'm not sure how much traction you'll get with that statement, but for
>> what it's worth, I agree.  The severity of the situation in the PR is
>> extremely high, and the repercussions if experienced are bad.  This *is*
>> something that should be backported to the RELENG_8_1 branch.
>>

> Considering that 8.2 is a ways off I also tend to agree.
>
> But that sort of in-your-face demand for action won't make any friends
> among the committers, you can bet on that.

I am not entirely sure why my question was understood as some kind of
aggression, that was certainly not my intention.

> When is the fix getting backported from -STABLE to 8.1 as an errata fix?
I think this a normal, valid question?

> A lot of people cannot and will not update to 8.1 before this is fixed
This is a simple fact.

> and no, "just track -STABLE" is not a valid answer
Just pre-empting the usual expected "just update to -STABLE to get
your fix" responces. This is not a valid solution for a lot of users
out there.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov