regarding kern/148655 fix for 8.1

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Nov 3 16:23:06 UTC 2010

Dan Naumov <dan.naumov at gmail.com> wrote:
 > I am not entirely sure why my question was understood as some kind of
 > aggression, that was certainly not my intention.
 >
 > > When is the fix getting backported from -STABLE to 8.1 as an errata fix?
 > I think this a normal, valid question?

By asking "when" you imply that you expect it to be backported.
You're not asking for it to be backported.  That's a difference.

Note that the PR was closed (already two months ago), which
usually means that no further merges are planned.  If you want
the patch to be merged to another branch, like releng/8.1,
you should rather ask for it to be merged, not ask "when" it
will be merged.  The likely answer to the latter might be
"never".

 > > A lot of people cannot and will not update to 8.1 before this is fixed
 > This is a simple fact.

No, it's a guess.  How many is "a lot of"?

 > > and no, "just track -STABLE" is not a valid answer
 > Just pre-empting the usual expected "just update to -STABLE to get
 > your fix" responces. This is not a valid solution for a lot of users
 > out there.

I don't think that "a lot of" users of FreeBSD 8.0-Release
are booting off a ZFS raidz or mirror (which is officially
supported since 8.1 only!) *AND* are unable to update to
stable/8 *AND* are unable to wait for 8.2 which isn't that
far away in the future.

I don't think that issuing a fix for releng/8.1 is really
required.  Even if it's only a 3-lines patch, making changes
to a release branch is a very delicate matter that requires
careful testing to make sure that nothing breaks.  This is
usually only warranted for security issues and critical bugs
(like kernel panics) that affect a significant number of
FreeBSD users.

Best regards
   Oliver

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton