kern.geom.debugflags=16 does NOT allow me to write to device

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Apr 23 12:25:58 UTC 2010

on 23/04/2010 13:34 Peter Schuller said the following:
>> It's easy.
>
> Thank you for posting the example. I never really understood that
> gpart was to be the generic tool; I thought it was gpt specific.
> Obviously I should have read up better.
>
> Is gpart to be considered "tested", "stable", "production quality"
> and/or "default" now then, or is it still cutting edge/experimental?

Yes, it's "tested", "stable", "production quality" and/or "default".
All other tools are slowly rotting now, but can be fixed to correctly works via
GEOM interface the same way gpart does now.
E.g. see Andrey's work on sade(8).

> So for example, would it make sense to submit patches (not promising
> anything) to adjust the handbook and relegate disklabel to an
> historical artifact?

gpart is the way to go and is the best tool to use on recent FreeBSD.

--
Andriy Gapon