Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS 2TB hard disks

Gary Corcoran gcorcoran at rcn.com
Sun Oct 25 21:23:44 UTC 2009

I'm thinking of building a ZFS-based home server using just the
motherboard ICH10R SATA connectors, and a few Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS 2TB
disk drives.  These are the "Raid Edition enterprise class" drives.  I've read of
problems with these drives when connected to mid-to-high end SATA RAID controllers
from Adaptec, Areca, and LSI.  But I was wondering if anyone has had any problems
just hooking them up to to the Intel motherboard ICH10R SATA connections as simple
(individual) disks? Or has anyone had any success in using these drives for a raidz
setup?

Thanks,
Gary