Filesystem is not clean - run fsck

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 7 15:47:38 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 10:58:33AM +0200, Carlos Luna wrote:
> Hi I'd used freenas about 5 years without any problem. Now I can?t mount my
> raid volume and in his sourceforge forums seems they cant help me. Hope this
> list is the right list for my issue.
>
> When I try to fsck,I get:
> casa:/dev# fsck -t ufs -y /dev/pst0s1
> ** /dev/pst0s1
> ** Last Mounted on /mnt/raid
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> -4439300862985009506 BAD I=86
> 3443570138036206556 BAD I=86
> -7476842757969057647 BAD I=86
> -8078484667502176485 BAD I=86
> 2249916482063805839 BAD I=86
> -3291681609520367063 BAD I=86
> 7780434385339928353 BAD I=86
> -4372486048108189431 BAD I=86
> 8774078035736727371 BAD I=86
> -2035310265760485777 BAD I=86
> 6848295312539782814 BAD I=86
> EXCESSIVE BAD BLKS I=86
> CONTINUE? yes

> UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7254140
> CLEAR? yes
>
> UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7254141
> CLEAR? yes
>
> UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7254142
> CLEAR? yes
>
> UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7254143
> CLEAR? yes
>
> fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 3037795832 bytes for inoinfo
> I have a lot of info there, 1 TB. I will appreciate any help.

It looks like you have a somewhat large file system, apparently with a
lot of small files on it.  The message indicates that you need to be
able to allocate over 3GB of address space to handle this.  As such you
will need a 64-bit machine, ideally with 4GB or more RAM and probably
with a large swap partition.

In theory it should be possible to write a constrained memory use version of
fsck, but to my knowledge no one has done so and I suspect it would be a
time consuming development effort.

-- Brooks