Filesystem is not clean - run fsck

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jul 9 14:24:02 UTC 2008

Brooks Davis wrote:
 > On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 10:58:33AM +0200, Carlos Luna wrote:
 > > Hi I'd used freenas about 5 years without any problem. Now I can?t mount my
 > > raid volume and in his sourceforge forums seems they cant help me. Hope this
 > > list is the right list for my issue.
 > >
 > > When I try to fsck,I get:
 > > casa:/dev# fsck -t ufs -y /dev/pst0s1
 > > ** /dev/pst0s1
 > > ** Last Mounted on /mnt/raid
 > > ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
 > > -4439300862985009506 BAD I=86
 > > 3443570138036206556 BAD I=86
 > > -7476842757969057647 BAD I=86
 > > -8078484667502176485 BAD I=86
 > > 2249916482063805839 BAD I=86
 > > -3291681609520367063 BAD I=86
 > > 7780434385339928353 BAD I=86
 > > -4372486048108189431 BAD I=86
 > > 8774078035736727371 BAD I=86
 > > -2035310265760485777 BAD I=86
 > > 6848295312539782814 BAD I=86
 > > EXCESSIVE BAD BLKS I=86
 > > CONTINUE? yes

 > > UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7254140
 > > CLEAR? yes
 > >
 > > UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7254141
 > > CLEAR? yes
 > >
 > > UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7254142
 > > CLEAR? yes
 > >
 > > UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=7254143
 > > CLEAR? yes
 > >
 > > fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 3037795832 bytes for inoinfo
 > > I have a lot of info there, 1 TB. I will appreciate any help.
 >
 > It looks like you have a somewhat large file system, apparently with a
 > lot of small files on it.  The message indicates that you need to be
 > able to allocate over 3GB of address space to handle this.  As such you
 > will need a 64-bit machine, ideally with 4GB or more RAM and probably
 > with a large swap partition.
 >
 > In theory it should be possible to write a constrained memory use version of
 > fsck, but to my knowledge no one has done so and I suspect it would be a
 > time consuming development effort.

There's another possibility.  I remember cases where the FS
structures were damaged in a way that fsck picked up wrong
size information, and then tried to allocate ridiculously
large amounts of memory, even for a small file system.

That could be the case here, too.

Best regards
   Oliver

"And believe me, as a C++ programmer, I don't hesitate to question
the decisions of language designers.  After a decent amount of C++
exposure, Python's flaws seem ridiculously small." -- Ville Vainio