Inode density for database machines - newfs -i

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Mon Jun 11 20:15:58 UTC 2007

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> The current machine is using 2056 inodes for 1.2TB.. with 3,539,382
> inodes free. For the next machine I will use a higher number in newfs
> until I get the number of free Inodes close to 100K. That will give the
> machine plenty of free inodes.

How long fsck takes depends on the number of used inodes, not the total
number. Barring a bug in UFS, you should be able to have as little
inodes as you want, especially if you know for sure what number to expect.

The only thing that might bite you is if the machine is (sometime in the
future) reassigned to some other duty that suddely requires a lot of inodes.