nfs4 on FreeBSD

Robert Watson robert at fledge.watson.org
Tue Oct 4 06:50:47 PDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Ivan Synyeokov wrote:

> I'm playing with nfs4 under FreeBSD and I wonder is there any particular
> plans to improve its support and have fully functional nfs4 client and
> server in base or maybe ports?
>
> I've found that Rick's (ftp://ftp.cis.uoguelph.ca/pub/nfsv4/) work is
> quite stable (I mean server part) on FreeBSD 6.0 Beta5, but client is
> only available for OpenBSD. Rick, do you plan to port your client to
> FreeBSD also? On the other hand, lack of delegation and locking state
> features from native FreeBSD6 client, prevent me from putting nfs4 in
> production. So, I kindly regard if anybody clear the situation, and in
> any case I could provide some testing.

I'm quite interested in where NFSv4 is going, but haven't yet had an
opportunity to dig in due to working on wrapping up fixes for 6.0, and
preparing Audit for a merge to the main FreeBSD tree.  I have found at
least one bug in the NFSv4 client code, but not yet fixed it.  I've
recently been investigating ACL semantics and NFSv4, but have a ways to go
on background reading for this one.  I would like to have a session to
discuss NFSv4 at the FreeBSD Developer Summit at EuroBSDCon, although I'm
not sure what attendence will be like.

Robert