remind me ... (file undelete on FreeBSD 5.4)

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Sat Nov 26 18:02:34 GMT 2005

Wise men talk because they have something to say, however
on Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 01:53 , Xin LI just had
to say something so we heard:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/27/05, Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:
>
> > When a file is deleted (in technical terms, when the last
> > reference on the inode goes away), its inode on disk is
> > zeroed. The inode contains

> Yes, that's true. One can not easily recover deleted data from
> the disk.

> One suggestion is you specify '-I' when doing rm, which will prompt if
> you are going to recursively remove directory, or removing more than 3
> files.  This is more or less a foot-shooting proof.  Another
> suggestion is that everything important should be backed up elsewhere,
> periodically and explictly.

He had a major problem when he specified 'f' as on option, and 'f'
will over-ride any 'i' option.

Using the i option for large amounts of files will make you give
that up in a hurry.  As I suggested earlier perform an 'ls' with
the appropriate options, and then if it all looks well use the
command editor to change the 'ls' to 'rm'.

And when you start using wildcards, always make sure to run
'pwd' before you make the final choice.  Sometimes you will be
surprised and you will save yourself a lot of grief.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com