remind me ... (file undelete on FreeBSD 5.4)

Xin LI delphij at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 17:54:04 GMT 2005

Hi,

On 11/27/05, Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:
> When a file is deleted (in technical terms, when the last reference on
> the inode goes away), its inode on disk is zeroed.  The inode contains

Yes, that's true.  One can not easily recover deleted data from the disk.

One suggestion is you specify '-I' when doing rm, which will prompt if
you are going to recursively remove directory, or removing more than 3
files.  This is more or less a foot-shooting proof.  Another
suggestion is that everything important should be backed up elsewhere,
periodically and explictly.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net> http://www.delphij.net