fsck output

DH dhutch9999 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 20:23:32 PST 2005

I know this may sound silly - have you run fsck on those fs while they were unmounted - running fsck on a mounted fs can produce "odd" results......  If not, unmount the fs and then fsck it. If that would cause problems with running applications reboot into single user mode and run fsck ( that would be the preferred scenario ).

David Hutchens III
Network Technician

Doug White <dwhite at gumbysoft.com> wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, mohammad babaei wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> we have a production server running FreeBSD 4.10 RELEASE , when we run
> fsck on the machine it's out put is something like this:
> ========
[...]

> ** /dev/ad0s1e (NO WRITE)
> ** Last Mounted on /tmp
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> UNREF FILE I=102 OWNER=www MODE=100600
> SIZE=0 MTIME=Mar 8 22:46 2005
> RECONNECT? no
>

> CLEAR? no

[..]

> ** /dev/ad0s1g (NO WRITE)
> ** Last Mounted on /var
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> UNREF FILE I=668162 OWNER=mysql MODE=100600
> SIZE=0 MTIME=Mar 8 22:41 2005
> CLEAR? no
>
> UNREF FILE I=668163 OWNER=mysql MODE=100600
> SIZE=0 MTIME=Mar 8 22:41 2005
> CLEAR? no
>
> UNREF FILE I=668171 OWNER=mysql MODE=100600
> SIZE=0 MTIME=Mar 8 22:41 2005
> CLEAR? no
>
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> SALVAGE? no
>
> SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
> SALVAGE? no
>
> BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
> SALVAGE? no

> [*] Is this a normal output for fsck or not?
> [*] Will it cause hard disk failure in the future ?

What options did you run fsck with?

Under normal circumstances after a crash these types of messages are
typical.

--
Doug White | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
dwhite at gumbysoft.com | www.FreeBSD.org