fstat -v failures

Geoff geoffo at comcast.net
Mon Mar 21 17:28:11 PST 2005

Running 'fstat -v' on my "FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE #1" system returns a long
string of failed attempts to read filedesc of pids as follows:

-bash-2.05b# fstat -v
USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W
can't read filedesc at 0xc8ea7a00 for pid 26279
can't read filedesc at 0xcaf4dd00 for pid 97453
[...]
can't read filedesc at 0xc8d03600 for pid 5463
can't read filedesc at 0xc8cf0400 for pid 5439

I'm trying to find out what files are open on my system to combat a "Too
Many Open Files" error.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Geoff