File Logging for Mac OS

Igor Shmukler shmukler at mail.ru
Wed Jun 23 04:23:23 GMT 2004

> It is my understanding that the FreeBSD file system,
> which is the one used in the Darwin kernel of Mac OS
> is stackable. Hence I should be able to write a layer
> on top to do this.

I think you are wrong. FreeBSD has leaf file systems. It least that it currectly the case with
OS X (based on older [Free]BSD [VFS]). Apple had a sample stackable fs - webdavfs, but they
currently do not support stackable file systems. Look through darwin-development mailing list
for details.

Usually, OS X installations mean that you would be running HFS[+]. It's a very cool file system
that has interesting features, but it is implementament as leaf fs as well.
Check out relevant documentation. Apple advises that VFS interfaces are in transitional fase.

IS.