fwcontrol -R can't work

tzhuan tzhuan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 06:08:47 PST 2004

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:23:15 +0900, Hidetoshi Shimokawa
<simokawa at freebsd.org> wrote:
> At Mon, 8 Nov 2004 05:31:35 +0800,
> > I repeat the command and get the following error:
> > (I press <UP><RETURN> after the previous fwcontrol exit about 1 second)
> >
> > huan# fwcontrol -R /dev/null
> > NTSC
> > 0123(108 blocks padded)4(249 blocks padded)fwcontrol: unknown format 0x3b
> > huan# fwcontrol -R /dev/null
> > NTSC
> > 0fwcontrol: read failed: Input/output error
> > huan# fwcontrol -R /dev/null
> > NTSC
> > 0123(33 blocks padded)4(249 blocks padded)fwcontrol: unknown format 0x3b
> > huan# fwcontrol -R /dev/null
> > NTSC
> > 0123fwcontrol: unknown format 0x5
> > huan# fwcontrol -R /dev/null
> > NTSC
> > 0123(249 blocks padded)fwcontrol: unknown format 0x3b
> > huan# fwcontrol -R /dev/null
> > NTSC
> > 01(0 blocks padded)fwcontrol: unknown format 0x5
> > huan#
>
> You seem to get only a few frames and lost some packets after that.
> Your machine may be too slow to catch up with DV data or some bad hardware
> causes packet loss.

Oh..... This machine is IBM X30 with P-3m 1.2G, and the firewire
chipset is Ricoh R5C552.
Is it fast enough fot this work?

> Did you disable witness and other debug options which affect
> performace in -current?

Yes, I disable all debugging options in kernel and malloc debugging
flags in userland.
The kernel and world are compiled with -O2.

> > Sorry that I'm not sure what do you mean?
> >
> > When I test fwcontrol yesterday and today, there is no other message
> > dump (the fwcontrol just show something, exit, then return to prompt)
> > , and there is nothing in /var/log/message.
>
> If your machine cannot catch up with DV data , I expect 'IR DMA overrun ...'
> messages in dmesg.

I don't find it, this is the dmesg:
http://home.so-net.net.tw/recluseh/dmesg